Tungsten mine project undergoing additional public consultation but company remains hopeful
The company behind the proposed tungsten mine in central New Brunswick says ongoing environmental permitting requirements mean construction on the project — and the promised 500 jobs that go with it — will not begin within the next 10 weeks as federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister Dominic LeBlanc confidently predicted last year.
“There will be no construction this spring,” said Greg Davidson, a spokesman for Northcliff Resources Ltd., the company hoping to develop the mine.
Northcliff won federal environmental approval for its project last June, clearing the way, LeBlanc said, for construction of the mine within a year.”The federal cabinet approval of the environmental assessment was the last remaining critical piece in order to ensure this project sees the light of day,” LeBlanc told reporters in Fredericton last June 23.
“We are very confident that the company will be able to get the financing in place over the next number of months. We’re confident that construction will begin next spring.”